BASKETMEN TO MEET GRADUATE QUINTET

Fitts, Miller, Rudofsky, and Egan Also on Graduate Line-Up -- Game Is Informal Opener for University Season

The University basketball quintet will make its unofficial debut at 8 o'clock tonight, when five former Harvard stars invade Hemenway Gymnasium to play their first public game against Harvard. The game is not on the regular schedule, but Coach Wachter will send his first-string team on the floor and the game will be played with an official referee and all the appearances of an opening game. It will be open to the public free of charge.

Gordon to Lead Graduates

Lewis Gordon '24, captain of the last two University teams, will lead the Alumni tonight. With him in the forward zone will be V. W. Miller '23, who starred on the court at Harvard for four years. R. W. Fitts '23, center and forward on the Crimson team in 1923, will hold down the tap-off position. At guards on the Crimson All-Stars, the name under which the team is playing in Boston amateur basketball, Captain Gordon is expected to start J. L. Rudofsky '24, regular of year, and D. E. Egan '23.

Crimson Team Much Improved

After its first week of daily scrimmage work, the University quintet, is much more certain than it was some time ago. Coach Wachie, announced last night that he would start H. R. Jones '26, star and captain of his Freshman team, with W. T. Smith '26, Gordon's running mate last year, at the two forward positions. J. D. Leckley '27 has been moved up to the first team and will start at center tonight. Captain Samborski will lead his team from one of the guard positions with W. A. Morrison '25 at the other.

Strong on the Defence

The long drill in fundamentals set this year by Coach Wachter has proved its value in the team-work that the first five has been showing in the daily light scrimmages. Four teams have been going through ten-minute halves every day, and this week passing and handling the ball has lost its place as the chief feature of the practice. Much attention is being given to dummy signal formations, and to intensive practice in the Harvard five-man defense. Rudofsky is the only star defense man lost to the squad, and with Captain Samborski, Morrison, J. D. Malick '27, Donald Bourne '25, F. E. Baldwin '26, and W. V. Coombs '27, the guard problem is the least of Coach Wachter's worries. Malick has been showing even better form than he did on last year's Freshman outfit since he reported on Saturday after being held up by illness. He is practically sure to get in the game tonight.