College Xmas Spirit 40 Years Ago Was Same as Today "Grind" Condemned--Receptions Given--Lampy Praised

College Christmas spirit forty years ago was essentially the same as it is today. The "stude" who stayed in Cambridge was publicly condemned by his fellows: Memorial Hall bid for patronage during the vacation; and "Lampy" was doled out its customary praise on its Christmas number.

An editorial in the CRIMSON of December 22, 1886, rings particularly true: "The Christmas vacation begins today. Most of us will be glad to leave Cambridge,....

"We extend our heartfelt sympathy to those unfortunates whom the hard decrees of a cruel fate and a more cruel faculty, doom to stay in Cambridge during the recess. As for those who reject the blessed privilege of leaving college for a few days,--who stay in Cambridge to grind we can only pity for their foolishness, and pass them by. To those whom no power without nor inanity within can keep in Cambridge, we wish the best of good times.

In 1886 "Mem" Hall enticed Christmas Day customers by publishing a menu featuring Blue Point oysters on shell, grouse, chicken, turkey, and Kirsch punch.

In the CRIMSON of December 22, 1896, "Lampy" merited the following: "The Christmas number of the Lampoon, which came out yesterday, is unusually entertaining and contains drawings rather above the average of college publications. The sketch on the cover, drawn by T. M. Hastings '98 is very effective and represents Lampy astride Pegasus treading over the Dragon."

As for receptions, President and Mrs. Lowell's role of host on Christmas Eve was played many years by a Professor Parker who invited all students to his hearthside.