UNANIMOUS VICTORY AT AMHERST

Chapman, Stone, and Barton Vanquish Purple Opponents

Amherst, Mass., December 8.--Harvard unanimously defeated Amherst in the league debate at Amherst this evening. The Harvard speakers were D. W. Chapman Jr. '27, W. S. Stone '26, and R. A. Barton 36, Amherst was represented by E. B. Noble, C. L. Israels, and W. L. Parker.

Amherst may be said to have lost the case because it failed to show that its proposed third party was a practicable thing and that it would not introduce plurality control for majority rule throughout the United States.

The first speaker of Amherst opened the case for the affirmative by pointing out that the present parties are nearly identical and that they do not place the issues before the people as they should.

Chapman of Harvard replied by showing that the present situation is a periodic one and that it has existed many times in the past. He emphasized that this party was the third and major at the same time and that the third party can only become major if based on some principle.

The second Amherst speaker failed to show the practicability of the third party. Stone showed that representative government would not be advanced by a third party