Denies Memorial Clock Gains a Minute a Day--Declares It Never Has Approached That Degree of Consistency

It taken exactly one hour to wind the great clock. In Memorial tower. This fact was revealed yesterday to a CRIMSON reporter by Mr. Walter Walford who has performed the task every Saturday afternoon for the last eight years.

Two immense weights, one of 1000 pounds for the works, the other of 1500 pounds to strike the gong, fall 80 feet a week to keep the clock going. It is Mr. Walford's duty to lift them up again. Two boxes of sand at the end of steel cables constitute these weights.

When questioned about the clock's occasional Japees from strict accuracy Mr. Walford replied. "Its no wonder. That clock has been there for 28 years and it's never been overhauled once". He denied the rumor that the clock gaine one minute a week regularly. "Why it gained 20 minutes in three hours once," he exclaimed. "You never can tell what it will do."

"The trouble with that clock," Mr. Walford concluded, "is that its everybody's business. You wouldn't think it would make much difference if it's half a minute or a few seconds off, but if it cuts off a professor's lecture, you can bet I hear from it. Sometimes I get so discouraged that rd like to give someone else a chance to try to keep it right."