YALE RALLY CARRIES DAY IN SECOND HALF

But 15-12 Set-Back Only Whets Bulldog Appetite as Elis Pile Up Commanding Total and Win 27-23

In another heart-breaking, "almost-not-quite" battle the Crimson quintet failed to hold its early lead, and succumbed to Yale 27 to 23 last night. An unbelievable succession of long-range goals by Pite in the closing minutes put the Blue to the fore and Harvard's desperate rally fell two baskets short of a tie as the final whistle blew.

The Crimson started out like champions. A sparkling sally down the floor by Smith brought the first score. Clever teamwork and some fine shooting by Smith and Rudofsky speedily gave the University five an 11 to 3 lead.

The redoubtable Pite seemed to possess a mania for shooting whenever he got his hands on the ball and his desire for individual glory hampered his team's progress. The Yale attack improved, however, as the game aged and the excellent play of Suisman and Haas cut down the Crimson lead. Rudofsky countered with two baskets, one after receiving a bullet-like pass from Smith, and Harvard was ahead 15 to 12 at half time.

The Crimson jubilation was short- lived, for the second half quickly took on a decidedly Blue tinge. The heroic efforts of the Harvard defense, particularly Rudofsky, still halted the Eli attackers at a respectable distance from the basket and forced them to resort to mid-court shots. Pite's luck changed, however, and the same sort of long-distance pot-shots which had gone wild in the first half now began to drop through the hoop with disconcerting regularity.

Rudofsky again took the lion's share of the Crimson's honors, with Smith an able second. For Yale, the steadiness of Captain Haas stood out. Harvard lost the game primarily from the foul-line making the miserable showing of one score in 11 attempts by this method.

The summary: Harvard  Yale Smith, r.f.  l.g., Haas, Giblin Gordon, l.f.  l.g., Giblin, Haas Rauh, Combs, c.  c., Clarke, Luman Samborski, Black, r.g.  l.f., Suisman Rudofsky, l.g.  r.f., Pite

Score, Yale 27, Harvard 23. Goals from the floor, Smith 3, Gordon 3, Rudofsky 3, Rauh, Combs, Pite 5, Haas 3, Suisman 2, Giblin 2. Goals from fouls, Gordon, Suisman, Haas, Giblin. Referee, Hoyt. Umpire, Souders. Time. 20-minute halves.