BOXING PRELIMINARIES WILL GET UNDER WAY ON MARCH 17

New Class Limits This Year Will Help Light-Weights

On the 17th of next March the preliminaries of the University boxing tournament will begin at Hemenway gymnasium, under the direction of Coach Shevlin, and on March 21 the University championships will be decided.

The classification of entrants by weights will be handled this year in a different manner from that of previous seasons. Instead of having 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165 and 175 pound classes, the weights will be 112, 118, 126, 135, 147, 160, 175, and over, the latter being the class limits sanctioned by both the amateur and professional boxing organization of America.

This method of classification, according to Mr. Shevlin, will be more just and fair to the lighter men: for an advantage of three or four pounds in the first three classes is proportionately as great as one of fifteen pounds in the heaviest class. Under the former arrangement a man weighing 124 pounds would have a great advantage over one weighing 113, although both would be in the same class. The newer system prevents any such disparity of weights.