WOULD PUT POLITICS IN EVERY CAREER

Advises His Listeners Not to Make Elective Office Their Sole Aim in Life--Graft Tempts Politicians

"Cynicism about politics is natural," said Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 in a lecture last night at the banquet of Delta Sigma Rho, the national honorary debating fraternity. Professor Holcombe was discussing various aspects of politics as a career.

"Politicians seem to have little interest in issues and measures beyond their probable strength at the polls," he said. "They choose their party on the basis of its popular appeal, and they appear to be exposed to every form of corruption."

Warning his hearers that he was a professor wound up to go 53 minutes whenever started, Professor Holcombe told first of certain obstacles to a political career. "I believe every man should take part in politics some time during his career," he said. "But he should not make political success the biggest thing in his life. Success in politics is too accidental.

"A politician's private life, for example, must be above reproach. Otherwise he may be connected with some scandal which suddenly blasts his career. Lawyers, even by connection with great business interests become unavailable as candidates for office."

Professor Holcombe pointed to one field of public life, however, which ought to offer increasing attractions to young university graduates as a result of the development of bureaucracy. "From the policemen on street corners to the heads of great departments in Washington bureaucrats are constantly gaining. This field of activity must be made to offer as promising a career as positions in Congress or in the state and national courts."