LOCAL GEOLOGY

It is regrettable that with the passing of the tradition of snap courses there has occurred a significant decrease in the number of practical geologists in the University. This limitation of enrollment in the ranks of anti-Bryanic scientists is scarcely to be attributed to a lack of facilities. Though overcrowded with visitors to the glass flowers, the University Museum nevertheless affords an ample home for miniature volcanoes and the dry bones of once terrifying beasts. The multiplicity of levels in the subway offers a unique opportunity for a detailed study of the earth's crust; and any intensive study of the Charles is certain to dispel unscientific notions of the harmlessness of river water.

Whatever the reason for the lamentable lack of undergraduate geologists, it has prevented a thorough investigation of the geological problems of the University. An indication of what might be accomplished is given by the recent report on the terranean strata of Harvard Hall. Ground into the original wooden floor, which is occasionally exposed at the surface, there is a hard crystaline composition which defies analysis. This stratum the investigator likens to the Pre-Cambrian, and assumes to be of great antiquity. Upon this base are laid numerous formations which at recurring intervals indicate an accumulation of debris from the most distant regions of the continent. Traces of Colorado gumbo, New Jersey sand, and Ohio clay were identified. The dominant type, however, was a dust which the analyst designated as Cantabrigian.

Imbedded in an early stratum were found two bristles. It was assumed that these were the remnants of primitive animals, but a closer investigation led to the theory that they represented an attempt to sweep up the gathering debris. That such an attempt was ever made seems highly unlikely, and the theory, therefore, is probably unsound. Indeed, the report ventures to suggest that no disturbance of the soil structure should ever be permitted. For it seems probable that within a few years the whole mass of substance will have consolidated itself into a firm crust, entirely concealing the original flooring, and upon this surface the scuffle of feet and the scraping of chairs will be almost noiseless, much to the benefit of the lecturer.