ACTIVE BASEBALL WORK BEGINS TODAY

Jenkins, Slattery, Frothingham, and Campbell to Address Aspirants for Team Berths--Six Veterans Missing

The University baseball season will be formally ushered in with a meeting this afternoon at 3.15 at the Locker Building at which all the candidates for the Crimson nine will report. The speakers will be Captain Percy Jenkins '24, Coach Slattery, Assistant Graduate Treasurer T. J. Campbell '12 of the H. A. A., and Dr. Channing Frothingham '02, chairman of the Baseball Advisory Committee.

Daily workouts for infielders and outfielders will begin on Tuesday. Battery candidates will probably continue to practice only three times a week for the present. The Freshman batterymen will not yet be called out.

Six of Last Year's Team Gone

Six of the nine men who faced Yale in the opening game last June are no longer available. Young and Keegan, battery, Captain Owen and Buell, infielders, and Clark and Thayer, outfielders, have left gaps in the lineup which can scarcely be filled. Reliable substitutes of last year and men from the 1926 Freshman team will fight for the vacant places. There are at least two promising men in line for every position.

Gordon Only "H" Man in Outfield

Lewis Gordon '24, a veteran of two years, is the only "H" man among the outfield candidates. G. W. Burgess '25, A. S. Rogers '25, Roger Doherty '25, C. L. Todd, Jr. '26, D. T. Allen '26, and Howes Burton '26 will contest for the other two positions. Rogers, a member of the 1924 Freshman team and of the University squad the following season, has returned to college after a year's absence. He should make a determined bid for a regular berth, as should Todd, leading batter of the 1926 nine.

Captain Jenkins and J. W. Hammond '25, last season's mid-diamond pair, will naturally again have the call at shortstop and second base respectively. J. C. McGlone '26, L. O. V. Mann '25, J. E. Knowlton '26, and R. P. Bullard '24 are their most likely understudies. McGlone has, however, had experience in the pitcher's box, the outfield, and third base. He may be tried in any one of these positions.

Third Base Position a Toss-up

Third base is open game, with F. S. Hill '24, H. E. Slayton '26, and possibly McGlone in the running. Hill, an "H" man, was the handy man of the Crimson infield last year, playing at shortstop, second, and third.

R. G. Norris '24, for two years Captain Owen's substitute at first base, is the only letter-man available for that position this year. R. H. Field '26, J. J. H. Kerr '25, and Thomas Campbell '24 are other candidates.

Although many of these players are now engaged in other sports all are expected to report at the meeting today.