"MEN LIKE GODS."

The experiments in examination methods tried by Professors Lowes and Perry, designed to develop thought and original criticism rather than mere memorizing, seem almost trivial when contrasted with the brand new system of education established to years ago by Mr. Gurdjieff, at Fontainebleau and appropriately called an "Institute for the Harmonious Development of Man." The principles upon which his method is based were acquired by Mr. Gurdjieff and others during thirty years of travel and study among the learned men of Persia, Tibet and India, where the seachers tried to supplement the knowledge of the West with the profound learning of the Eastern yogis and Lamas.

The East, apparently recognizes three separate and conflicting entities in man's makeup; body, intellect, and emotions. By a rigorous program of study, consisting mainly, it would seem, of training in the sacred dances of the East the Institute seeks to produce men with the physical control of Hindu ascetics, the intellectual development of the yogis, and the emotions of saints--assuredly a most admirable purpose except from certain sordid practical aspects.

At once it is obvious that the success of this institution would largely affect the future of the world. Just what the intellectual attainments of the yogis consist in is rather indefinite; but the emotions of saints nothing could be more helpful in the solution of modern world problems! And if the physical control of Hindu ascetics has no immediate application to politics it would at least be unusually valuable in everyday life with food prices mounting indefinitely and rents "perfectly frightful, you know!" in fact, if Mr. Gurdjieff can manage to corral all of the Germans, most of the Russians and a fair share of the English, French and even Americans, into his academy not of course, Insinuating that he would like such a comprehensive membership, the four thousand classic dances will produce a panterrestrial heaven of sublime and perfect accord.