SAYS HARVARD EQUIPMENT IS FINEST IN COUNTRY

Coach Stevens Also Believes It Most Extensive, but Declares It Will Not Win Races Without Fighting

"The fact that Harvard has the best and most extensive rowing equipment of any college in the country will not help us to win races without fighting," said Coach Edward Stevens when interviewed yesterday by the CRIMSON's crew reporter. "We are fortunate in our facilities, but the way can be made too easy.

"Our two boathouses have probably the best quality and quantity of equipment of any college in the country," he continued. "We have plenty of money and shells to provide for any number of men who want to row. After all, rowing as a sport for all is more important than a college crew, but the two go together. We have more shells than any other college except possibly Yale, and I think even more than the Elis. We have one great advantage in being so near the water, and such a good river at that. The Charles is right at hand and it is excellent for rowing, even though it has no long, straight stretch.

"Washington and the Navy have almost ideal condiditions for rowing. Both of them have water at hand, the Navy has excellent equipment, and both get the strongest men; Washington gets men who have lived outdoors and are rugged. Annapolis gets the pick of the country.

"Harvard--and Yale too--is under the handicap of not having the sturdy raw material from the farms. But that obstacle can be surmounted--hence the running outdoors at present. Hardship and sacrifice bring out a man's ingenuity, and power. In aiming for a victory over Yale we have a job cut out for us that will take everything we can put into it."

Coach Sevens feels that the outdoor running does more good than many workouts indoors. Already it has become apparent that a large number of men are gaining weight from the exercise.