U. S. AIR CHIEF WILL DESCRIBE HIS TRADE

Insisted on Learning How to Fly When Over 60 Years Old--Comes as Guest of Engineering Society

Major General M. M. Patrick, Chief of the Army Air Service, will give an illustrated lecture on aviation this evening at 7.30 P. M. in the Living Room of the Union. In his talk the general will trace the development of flying from the days of Langley and Wright to the Fokkers and Shenandoah's of modern times. the lecture is under the auspices of the Engineering Society.

In addition to being the best informed student of the subject now living, General Patrick has had an abundance of practical experience. Starting as a Second Lieutenant in the Engineering Corps, he rose to the rank of Colonel just before the opening of the World War. He was then appointed commander of the Army Air Service in France, where he won the D.S.M. In 1921 the President made him permanent chief of the American Air Service.

General Patrick has carried American aviation many strides forward, and holds a high position in the eyes, of his subordinates. Nothing better illustrates his character than the fact that he is the only army officer of his rank who has the privilege of wearing the insignia of a full-fledged filer. When over sixty years old he insisted on being taught to fly like any other airman, because, as he said, he wanted to experience and understand all the risks that his subordinates took. He has thus the record for age at the time-he "won his wings."