"Excellent," Says Moore, Enthusiastic Over Track Record; Declares System Vindicated; Hopes to Retain Present Staff

"Excellent," was the enthusiastic comment of Major Fred W. Moore '93 on the University's track success in the B. A. A. games Saturday night. "The situation now is more promising than it has been for many years."

"The showing in this meet proves that the system adopted by the present coaching staff is right. We hope to be able to keep this staff as it is for another year at least, with the possible addition of Jakko Mikkola as discus and javelin coach." Mr. Mikkola, who is now coaching the Finnish Olympic team, was mentor in the discus and javelin at the University from the time of the inauguration of these events until the present year.

"The most encouraging part of the situation." Major Moore continued, "has been the fact that those who have not been considered stars have been coming along rapidly. After all in dual and triangular contests, the second and third places usually win the meet. The development of inexperienced men is highly important."

Major Moore explained that Harvard's lack of track success in recent years has been due to the unusually difficult situation arising from the fact that the schools from which the University draws its entrants do not develop track athletes. "The obviating of this difficulty," he said, "makes the promise of a successful season this year particularly encouraging."