ABSOLUTION FOR THE DEPUTIES

It will be interesting to watch the operation and the results of the Phillips Brooks House deputations to various Massachusetts towns, which start out this coming week-end. Their object is to awaken the young people to the worth-while things of life, and to help the older people appreciate the problems and difficulties which constantly confront the young ones and which they frequently misunderstand or neglect altogether. And undoubtedly there is a field for such work an almost unlimited field, in which the success of the deputations must depend, like everything else, on the personalities of the deputies and on the wisdom of their methods.

The objection that this work looks suspiciously like proselyting for Harvard is bound to obtrude itself; and of course, it is hard to see how teams of Harvard men selected for their persuasive powers, their ability to command attention and their interest in human affairs can fall to make favorable impressions wherever they go, which will inevitably effect prospective college students, and the prospective parents of college students. But this is rather indirect; if no college did more, there would be little scandal. And a town is a very poor place to proselyte, intentionally or otherwise. Whatever college material may exist is certain to be scattered, almost certain to be in small quantity. The Phillips Brooks House has probably not worried about whether it may appear to be proselyting or not, but if it has it may rest assured that a consideration of the facts will absolve it from any such damnifying charge.