GRANT WILL EXPOUND HIS MODERNISM HERE

Wonders "Whether You Really Want Me"--Thinks He May Hurt Association's Work or Disappoint it

The Reverend Percy Stickney Grant '83, rector of the Church of the Ascension in New York, has accepted an invitation from the Harvard Christian Association to speak at the University on the problems of modern religion, officers of the Association announced last night. The date has not yet been definitely set, but it will probably be during the first week in March.

Dr. Grant first came into nation-wide prominence a year ago when his outspoken liberal views stirred up a bitter controversy in the New York diocese of the Episcopal Church. He took a decided stand against a literal interpretation of the Bible, maintaining that it should be applied to present-day needs and problems in a practical way Bishop William T. Manning of the New York diocese disagreed violently with Dr. Grant's utterances, and the dispute that followed shook the Episcopal Church to its foundations. Dr. Grant was firm in his advocacy of a livable religion and refused to retract his statements.

In a letter made public yesterday, which was addressed to H. H. MacCubbin '26, chairman of the University Christian Association's committee on Bible study and meetings, Dr. Grant expressed his pleasure at being invited here. He went on, however, to add: "I am wondering whether you really want me to do what you so kindly ask.

"When I get on a public platform I find myself speaking very plainly about these matters, and I have come to a view which is far from conservative.

Sides With E. T. S.

"I don't know whether you are acquainted with Bishop Lawrence's position and the position recently announced by the Episcopal Theological School on Brattle street. My views are more or less in that direction, but perhaps go a little further.

"I don't want to come to Harvard--and especially to the Christian Association--and either disappoint you or hurt your work. Let me know after you think over what I have written you if you still wish me to come."

The committee promptly assured Dr. Grant that it did still wish him to come, and asked him if he would be willing to appear in a debate with some leading fundamentalist. Chairman MacCubbin has communicated with one of the conservative leaders who decries Dr. Grant's attitude, and hopes to arrange a single meeting at which both men will speak. In any event, he is certain that Dr. Grant himself will come, whether alone or in conjunction with another speaker.