THE WEEK AT HARVARD

With the completion of this week comes the end of the examination period. Classes in all departments of the University begin on Monday, and with the start of the second half year, many of the spring sports will get under way.

Committees were appointed early this week to prepare for the celebration of President Emeritus Eliot's ninetieth birthday on March 20, in which representatives of the 45,000 Harvard alumni, and leading citizens of the country will take part. Arrangements are in the hands of the Alumni Association, with the cooperation of a committee of students headed by C. J. Hubbard Jr. '24 of Boston, which will have charge of the ceremonies in the College Yard.

The committee consists of the following: C. J. Hubbard Jr. '24 of Boston, First Marshal of the Senior class; B McK. Henry '24 of Hosemont, Pa., Second Senior Marshal; W. B. Gross by '24 of West Newton. Third Marshal; F. A. O. Schwarz '24 of Greenwich, Conn., President of the Student Council; M. W. Greenough '25 of Boston, President of the Junior class; N. S. Howe '26 of New York City, President of the Sophomore class, and the 1927 Freshman class President, to be elected soon.

From the graduate and professional schools the following men have been appointed: Law School, J. B. Douglas 3L; Business School, Shaw Livermore 2G.B; School of Architecture, S. P. Moorehead 2S.A.; School of Landscape Architecture, B. D. Williams S.L A; Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, J. P. Baxter 3rd 2G.; Graduate School of Education, E. R. Collier 3G.Ed.; Theological School, R. E. Starkey ST.S.; Medical School, C. P. Rhoads 4M; Dental School, N. G. Newman Jr. 2D. A Citizens' Committee, which will include many men of national prominence, is now in process of formatives.

The 1934 Class Committee announced on Tuesday a plan to raise the money for the customary 25th anniversary gift by means of endowment insurance. Members of the Senior class will be given an opportunity to sign up for special 25-year endowment policies of $250 or more. The ownership is to be assigned to the class treasurer, thus making the class the sole beneficiary in death and disability settlements as well as in dividend earnings. The insured will pay the New York Life Insurance Company the annual premium of $10.10 for the 25 years. In 1949 the face value of each policy then in force will be paid to the class treasurer, plus $95.93 in dividends, making $345.93 in all. The experiment has been tried in other colleges and has been very successful.

With the beginning of the second term at the Business School last Monday, nine army honors from several departments of the service started a two year course at the University. The purpose of the War Department in detailing this group for study at Harvard is to forin the nucleus of an Army Business School in which these men will serve as instructors.

The methods of the Business School received the praise of a national organization of business men this week in the form of a resolution passed by the National Boot and Shoe Manufacturers' Association. The Association also subscribed $1000 to the fund of $15,000 being raised in the shoe and allied trades for the school.

The Reverend Percy Stickney Grant '83, rector of the Church of the Ascension, New York, has accepted the invitation of the Harvard Christian Association to speak at the University on the problems of modern religion. The date has not been definitely set, but it will probably be during the first week in March.

The Student Friendship Fund drive for $5000 held recently throughout the University has been oversubscribed by $1000, according to F. T. Baldwin '24 of Boston, chairman of the drive. The Dental School and School of Landscape Architecture are still to be heard from.

A novel, written by an undergraduate during his Freshman year, is being published this month by the B. J. Brimmer Company, Boston. James Gould Cozzens '26 of New York City, a graduate of Kent School, is the author of the book, which is entitled "Confusion".

The prize offered by the Editors of the Advocate to the person contributing the best word stigmatizing "Drys" has been raised from ten to 25 dollars. The contest, which closes on February 13, is taking on a national aspect, suggestions having been received from nearly every state in the Union.

Victory over the Yale and M. I. T. relay teams in the B. A. A. meet last Saturday was the high light of the sporting world this week. The result of the two-mile race with Yale was never in doubt. J. N. Watters of Winchester, the Harvard anchor man, finishing with a halflap advantage in the fast time of 8 minutes, 11 and 2-5 seconds. The M. I. T. one-mile relay was a closer affair, the Crimson being able to boost the lead to only 12 yards at the finish.

In hockey, the University sextet played only one game. On Tuesday the Crimson repeated its former 1-1 tie with the Maple A. A., Coach Winsor forbidding an extra period in order to save the men for the game with Yale tonight. The Freshmen won from Exeter on Saturday last, 2-0, and from St. Mark's on Tuesday, 1-0.

The University basketball team ran away with the Syracuse quintet in the second half of the game last Tuesday after a 16-16 deadlock in the first period, winning by a 33-24 score. The Freshmen were forced to bow to a superior Andover five on Wednesday, 31-20.

Team B clinched the Massachusetts Class B squash championship title last Saturday by defeating Lincoln's Inn, 4-1. The Freshmen won from B. A. A., 3-2, on the same day