FARRELL TO GIVE FIELD EVENT MEN NO LAY-OFF

ONLY FEW VETERANS AVAILABLE IN WEIGHT EVENTS

No lay off for weight men, was the decision made yesterday by Coach Farrell of the University track team. And although the winter season ended scarcely a week ago, regular practice will be resumed at Soldiers Field this afternoon for men in the hammer throw, shot put, javelin, and discus events. This practice will continue under Coach Farrell's personal direction until the formal opening of the spring season about April 7, when he will again take charge of the entire track squad.

Unusual weakness in the four weight events has made the extra month of practice seem necessary if the University is to be represented by a well-balanced track team in the spring.

Carpenter Only "H" Man in Discus

In the discus, Carpenter, a Senior, is the only man who has won his "H"; while Kernan, another senior, is the only javelin thrower to have placed against Yale. In the shot put, there are two veterans, Eastman and Dunker, but in the hammer throw not a single man of experience is returning to college this year.

With this alarming scarcity of seasoned material in these four events. Coach Farrell is making every effort to develop new men to fill the shoes of former "H" men.

Says Experience is Not Necessary

"All we want is men!" said Coach Farrell to a CRIMSON reporter. "I don't care how green they are. Why of the 22 men who went down to the Intercollegiates a week ago 13 had never had a track shoe on before they came to college! All we want is men and if they're any good at all, we'll make point winners out of their before spring."

Beginning today, Coach Farrell will conduct his weight practice at Soldiers Field every afternoon from 2 o'clock on.

Extrs practice will also be held during the next four weeks for pole vault candidates and assistant coach R. W. Harwood '21 will work with new men in the cage at 7 o'clock on Tuesday and Thursday evening and at 1.30 o'clock on Saturday afternoons.