CRIMSON QUINTET COMES WITHIN ACE OF WIN FROM YALE

But 13-12 Advantage Dwindles Before Powerful Blue Offensive--Gordon Individual Star--Few Substitutions

New Haven, Conn., March 11.--The Yale quintet won its second decision of the season over Harvard here tonight by the score of 30 to 28. The Crimson five was ahead at half-time 13 to 12, but in the second half the lead see-sawed back and forth, fickle fortune finally favoring the Blue by a bare two-point margin.

For Harvard, the season's finale was a bitter repetition of many earlier contests. The story of a Crimson lead dwindling away as the enemy attack grows hotter has been all too common this season. It is hard to put one's finger on the weak link in the Harvard armor--certain it is that the players have not failed to fight all the harder as they have seen victory ebbing away. The gallant struggle put up tonight by Captain Gordon and his men aroused the handful of Crimson supporters to a high pitch of enthusiasm and evoked the praise of the most dyed-in-the-wool Eli sympathizers. It was distinctly a defeat with honor; but a defeat, even with honor, is scant comfort to the players who had victory so nearly within their grasp.

Gordon's valedictory to intercollegiate basketball was fitting climax to a brilliant career. Scoring more than half his team's points and dominating the attack throughout, he deserved to lead a winning team rather than a losing one, Rudofsky as usual shared the stellar honors with his captain.

For Yale, it was Luman, the gridiron star, who proved to be Harvard's Nemesis. While the sensational Pite, high scorer in the Intercollegiate League, was being pretty effectively covered, the big center dropped in goal after goal. He tallied seven times from the floor and twice from the foul line, for a total of 16 points.

Harvard tied Blue in goals from the floor, but as so often this season failed to make the most of its opportunities from the foul line, making good only four out of nine attempts.

The summary: HarvardYale Smith r.f.  l.g., Hall, Hass Gordon, l.f.  r.g., Giblin Raub, Combs, c.  c., Luman Black, r.g.  l.f., Pite Rudofsky, l.g.  r.f., Hass, Suisman

Score, Yale 30, Harvard 28. Goals from the floor, Gordon 6, Rudofsky 3, Black 2, Smith, Luman 7, Pite 4, Hass. Goals from fouls, Gorden 3, Combs, Luman 2, Hass 2, Pite, Suisman. Referee Brennan. Time, 20-minute halves.