NOW, OR LATER

Were Pythagoras to "listen in" on a modern radio concert he would undoubtedly hail it as irrefutable proof of his theory of the "music of the spheres". And in a Greek rapture over this satisfactory conclusion to his speculations he might neglect to discuss the other possible sources of the "heavenly harmony". To some degree the radio novice in his delight over the successful operation of his "set" has likewise forgotten to interest himself in the problems of the origin of those invisible waves which he has set his wires to snare.

Possibly the fear that this blissful heedlessness will continue indefinitely has prompted the American Telephone and Telegraph Company to institute a series of patent suits which bring up for consideration the whole problem of broadcasting. But this apparently commendable impulse has been uncharitably criticized as an attempt to again complete control of the new industry. Certainly the defense of the company's proceedings which was based on the argument that neglect to sue would "in effect dedicate valuable property to the public" rings sharply of self-interest, rather than of a desire to promote public good. And theories arguing that the quickest way to secure governmental regulation of any industry, and thus further public interests, is to foster the growth of monopolistic power have been proved specious too often to bear reapplication.

But whatever the motives and reasons for the present hitter discussion, it does point out clearly the unique opportunity offered the government. Hitherto principles of public regulation have been evolved only after evils of monopoly or unrestrained competition have be come momentous; and only after industry has crystallized into unalterable moulds. For once the Federal government may apply its regulative power to a new industry. it may in a manner direct the inevitable expansion of the radio industry into those channels best calculated to serve public interests if the patent-suits do succeed in forcing the government to seize time by the forelock their inauguration is not to be condemned.