CURTISS PRAISES WORK IN BUSINESS SCHOOLS

DECLARES COLLEGE MEN SHOW IMPATIENCE IN BUSINESS

"Whenever the bank executives want to fill an important position in the bank, they always ask me for a Business School graduate" was the way in which Mr. Curtiss, chairman of the Board of the Boston Federal Reserve Bank, expressed his admiration for the business school training when questioned by a CRIMSON reporter yesterday afternoon at the Union.

"Many men think that the two years spent there in theoretical work are wasted, and that it would be better to enter business immediately, but I believe that the Business School training is practically invaluable. Not only does it develop a man's quickness and ability to coordinate his thoughts on the task at hand, but, above all, it teaches him the exact methods by which the big firms carry on their work in each branch of the business. It also gives him a wider grasp and knowledge of the whole field, and a broader outlook on the work in which he is not materially interested, than that of a man who immediately enters business and sticks to his own particular branch. The training is especially important for those wishing to enter the executive department, who need more of actual instruction."

Mr. Curtiss praised especially the Case System of the Harvard Business School, by which the student has to work out the solution of an actual problem which confronted a business firm. "This gives him the experience of grappling with all kinds of difficulties which he will later face in the world of affairs."

When asked if there was one fault common to most graduates in business, he replied emphatically "Yes, impatience. Being conscious of their head-start over the untrained men, they want to be put immediately in the particular branch which they like best, at a time when they are really only raw material. Also they are a little less willing to receive suggestions or advice from their superiors; but experience soon makes them adaptable."

Mr. Curtiss also mentioned that the Business School was quite ahead of the College in its greater freedom from outside activities and closer application to work. "As I have lately lived in College for a year, I think I know about how much college fellows work" was his parting shot.