Karel Kapek Still in Czechoslovakia Despite Rumors to Contrary; Burrell Replaces Him as Dramatic Club Reader

"Is Karel Kapek really going to be in the Music Building tomorrow afternoon?" "Isn't Kapek still in Czechoslovakia now?" "But he can't speak English, can he?"

These are but a few of the mystified queries which kept the telephone at the Dramatic Club offices busy all day yesterday as the result of a misstatement made in yesterday morning's CRIMSON to the effect that Karl Kapek, famous Bohemian playwright, would read his play "The Makropulos Affair" at Paine Hall in the Music Building this afternoon at 4 o'clock.

Mr. Kapek is in Czechoslovakia; he cannot speak English, and he will not be in Paine Hall this afternoon.

But the reading of the play will be given this afternoon by the Dramatic Club as originally announced. "The Makropulos Affair", the play which has been selected by the Dramatic Club for their spring production, will be read by R. C. Burrell '24, ex-president of the Dramatic Club. This meeting is open to all members of the University in general, and in particular to those who are going to compete in the forthcoming trials for positions on the cast.

Karel Kapek was born in 1890 in Northern Bohemia, and since then he has never travelled far beyond the boundaries of Czechoslovakia, although his plays, most prominent of which are "R. U. R." and "The World We Live In," have been presented in translation in London, New York and Berlin. At present he is at Prague serving as director of the Vinohradski Theatre.

He is still there, despite all reports to the contrary.