OLD VOLUME GIVEN TO LIBRARY TO HONOR ELIOT

CONTAINS AUTOGRAPHS OF MANY HARVARD GRADUATES

A rare volume, which originally belonged to John Eliot, commonly called "The Apostle of the Indians," has been received by the Harvard Library from James Buell Munn '12, of New York, in honor of President eliot's birthday. The book is a copy of Heylyn's "Cosmographie Containing the Charographie and Historie of the Whole World," second edition, printed in London, 1657.

Besides the name of the first owner the book contains the autographs of several subsequent possessors. The first of these was John Eliot of the class of 1685, the Apostle's grandson, who inherited the work from his grandfather at the latter's death in 1690. He sold it to Benjamin Wadsworth, who graduated from Harvard in 1690, and was President of the College from 1725 to 1737. Nathaniel Williams of the class of 1695, headmaster of the Boston Latin School from 1708 to 1734, was the next to have the book in his possession. Following his death the book changed hands, going to Warhan Williams of the class of 1719, minister of the church in Watertown from 1723 to 1751. A later owner was the Rev. Samuel Sewall, a great grandson of Judge Sewall, who gave the book in 1850 to J. Wingate Thornton, L.L.B. 1840, of Boston.

The much-thumbed work may now be seen in the Treasure Room at Widener.