SLATTERY PLANS TO START OUTDOOR WORK

So Says Ground-Keeper Dennis Enwright--Gasoline Tractor Does Wonders in Remedying Softness

"Outdoor practice tomorrow," was the optimistic slogan at the baseball cage yesterday afternoon, and after the usual batting session in the cage Coach Slattery sent his charges outside for a few minutes to pass the ball back and forth and limber up generally. If fair weather continues, the entire workout will be outdoors this afternoon.

Coach Slattery has found the long grind indoors as irksome as have the players themselves, and he feels that he has been unable to get an adequate line on his material. For that reason no cut has yet been made, but the squad will be reduced to a working basis as soon as possible after outdoor work begins. With the Boston University game less than a fortnight away and the spring trip only three weeks off, it is essential that the players get on the diamond as soon as possible. Despite the prospect of sore arms and wet feet, therefore, the squad will probably practice today on the Freshman field.

Ground-keeper Dennis Enwright has kept a large corps of workmen busy on both the Freshman and the University diamonds ever since the snow went away. He paused in his labors yesterday long enough to say to a CRIMSON reporter, "The field is in fine shape. Unless it freezes tonight or rains tomorrow, the Freshman diamond will be ready tomorrow, but no one will set foot on the University field for a few days yet."

A year age today, Soldiers Field was covered with snow, and the baseball aspirants faced another two weeks of monotonous indoor practice. Today, however, the greensward presents a springlike aspect. It is still rather soft, but the ministrations of Mr. Enwright and his gasoline tractor are fast remedying that fault.