WILL BALANCE GOD AGAINST EVOLUTION

Has Achieved National Prominence by Fearless Attack From His Pulpit on Conditions in New York

Dr. John Roach Straton, prominent New York clergyman and leader of the Fundamentalist element in the Protestant Church, will speak in Peabody Hall, Phillips Brooks House, tonight on "Evolution versus God, Monkey Men and Monkey Morals." Dr. Straton will be introduced by Richard M. Sears '24, and the meeting, which will begin at 7.30, will be open to all men in the University.

Dr. Straton, who is pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church in New York City, has become nationally prominent during the last few years by his vigorous campaign against vice in New York, and by his fearless expression of his beliefs from the pulpit. Because Dr. Straton does not mince words in his sermon, his doctrines have been accused of being "revolutionary", and an open bid for sensationalism. Dr. Straton, in replying in the New York Times to a specific criticism of sensationalism made by a brother clergyman about a year ago, denied that he had ever exceeded the bounds of pulpit propriety, and that remarks attributed to him had never been uttered from the pulpit, but reserved for insertion in a book he was preparing.

Covered Carpentier Fight

When Dr. Straton was offered the opportunity to attend the Dempsey-Carpentier fight, and write his impression for a news agency which guaranteed not to cut his article, and to give it circulation in over 600 daily newspapers, he saw an opportunity to preach a sermon. His report of that encounter was widely read, and provoked national comment, for among the charges he brought against the exhibition were that it was founded on fraud and dishonesty, and that it was similar to the gladitorial fights which debauched the Romans and ruined Rome.

Dr. Straton has been a vigorous foe of the modern dancing, through his investigations causing the arrest of several proprietors of New York dancing palaces. He believes that a dance craze has fallen upon the American people, and following along in its wake are drinking and licentiousness.

Will Answer Grant

A graduate of Mercer University, Georgia, Dr. Straton was ordained a Baptist minister in 1900. He has won numerous oratorical prizes, and other prizes for articles. He has been prominently identified with education and the church during the last twenty-five years, until today he is one of the foremost exponents of Fundamentalism. Tonight he will present his side of the question in answer to Percy Stickney Grant's recent speech at the Union.

Preceding the lecture, there will be a dinner for Dr. Straton at Phillips Brooks House, at which cabinet members of the Phillips Brooks House and Harvard Christian Associations will attend.