FIELDERS GET FIRST OUTING ON DIAMOND

Slattery Looks for Keen Competition and Shift Within Two Weeks--Batting Ability at a Premium

The University diamond aspirants had their first outdoor workout yesterday despite the chill east wind and the slippery footing. Coach Slattery took no chances with his pitchers' arms and had the routine pitching and batting drill in the cage as usual, but he sent the infielders and outfielders to the Freshman field for a brisk fielding session.

Two tentative infield combinations went through their paces in excellent style. The inevitable first-day wild throws and booted grounders were naturally in evidence and the oozy condition of the field made speed of foot impossible, but nevertheless Coach Slattery expressed himself as pleased with the result. On the first-string infield group Captain Percy Jenkins '24 was at shortstop, H. E. Slayton Jr. '26 at third base, J. C. McGlone '26 at second, and Thomas Campbell '24 at first. The second combination was composed of B. M. Rice '25, shortstop; Philip Keene 3 E.S., third base; Earl Evans '25, second base; and R. H. Field '26, first base. J. E. Knowlton '26 and J. J. H. Kerr '25 were tried at second and first base respectively toward the end of the workout.

Changes May Come

Coach Slattery emphasized the temporary character of the two groups. "The competition is very keen," he said. "In two weeks the whole makeup of the infield may be different. In all the doubtful positions, the men who can hit will get the jobs." The presence of F. S. Hill '24, versatile infield substitute of last year, and J. W. Hammond '25, regular second baseman a season ago, may materially alter the situation. Hill did not appear yesterday and Hammond, reporting for the first time, confined his activities to indoor work.

Reporting for the first time with Hammond were Lewis Gordon '24, a regular outfielder for two years, and J. J. Maher '26, last year's Freshman captain and catcher. Gordon joined the other fly-chasers in the outdoor drill. He is the only available veteran for an outfield berth. A. S. Rogers '25, C. L. Todd Jr. '26, G. W. Burgess '25, and A. G. Rogers '26 are the other most likely candidates.

J. R. Miyakawa '26 handled the catching assignment for the entire infield practice. The little Japanese is a clever backstop and his throwing to bases was of a high order yesterday. Unless his hitting is weak, he may be a valuable acquisition to the catching staff.

Coach Davidson kept his Freshman players indoors and unless the weather changes he will do so for several days yet, as Coach Slattery has pre-empted the Freshman diamond for the University candidates until their own field is in condition. Coincident with the opening of the outdoor work, Manager Pantaleoni announced last night that the Freshman managership competition will begin next Monday, two weeks earlier than last year. This change is brought about by the fact that outdoor practice is beginning almost two weeks earlier than last spring, when there were only two days of open-air practice before the opening game.