YALE STUDENT COUNCIL TAKES OVER HONOR SYSTEM

Sheffield Scientific School Passes New Regulations--Selected Members of Council Required to Take Pledge

In order to make it easier for the student body to uphold the Honor System at Yale, and to place the handling of violations under its jurisdiction, the Sheffield Student Council has adopted a revised plan for the administration of the Honor System, which will go into effect immediately. Under the new regulations, the Honor System is to be under the direct supervision of the Sheffield Scientific School Council.

Under the provisions of the new arrangement, members of the Student Council, who are elected by popular vote of the undergraduates, will be required to sign pledges promising to support the Honor System and to prevent any violations. Provision is made for the instruction of all students in the college in the complete operation of the plan by a series of meetings early in the year, addressed by members of the Discipline Committee. Any violation is to be reported to a member of the Council, who will gather all facts in the case, and try the accused student.

The first time a man is convicted of violating the Honor System, he is to be brought before the Student Council to be reprimanded. For the second offence he is to be compelled to drop the course or courses in which he broke the Honor Principle, to be made up the following term or terms, and a letter explaining the case sent to his parents or guardian if a student is found guilty of a third violation, after trial before the Discipline Committee, he will be expelled from the University.