DEBATING UNION MAY IMITATE INDIANAPOLIS

MILITARY SCIENCE DEPARTMENT MAY ATTEND

The Debating Union, at a meeting at 7 o'clock in the Faculty Room of the Union next Tuesday, will reopen the question of "Pacifism", which has been lying dormant since the Student Volunteer Convention held in Indianapolis last January. Several Harvard students who were included in the pacifist group at this convention are expected to advance their theories Tuesday night.

After the regular speeches, the debate will be opened to the floor. A closure rule, however, has been made, which will end the debate promptly at 8.30. The opposing factions will face each other on opposite sides of the Faculty Room, while the middle seats will be occupied by the center faction. Representatives of the Liberal Club and of the Military Science Department will in all probability advance contrary opinions.

At the convention in Indianapolis approximately 400 delegates voted that war was sinful and that they would under no conditions participate in it. Furthermore, 90 of these men pledged themselves not to enter any war after November, 1924.

A great storm of protest greeted these pacifist views. The belligerents, headed by Brigadier General John Ross Delafield, president of the Reserve Officers' Association of the United States, accused them of treason and conspiracy. A similar outburst is expected Tuesday night.