NINE'S ROUTINE BEGINS AS INITIAL GAME COMES

PITCHERS WILL GET OUTSIDE BEGINNING MONDAY

The fair weather did much of offset the slightly soggy ground and the chilly wind at Soldiers' Field as Coach Slattery's baseball squad took their last work-out of the week on the Freshman field yesterday. There will be no practice today, but on Monday, the whole squad, including the pitchers, will desert the cage for out-door practice.

With the Boston University game only a week distant, and the Southern trip a fortnight off, Coach Slattery will have his hands full to get the team into shape. Starting on Monday, all the institutions of mid-season will be used, the squad will be cut down to a size that will permit of more careful and individual instruction, and practice games with regular scores will be begun.

The chance to see the whole squad in action outside will be welcomed by Coach Slattery who so far has had no opportunity to judge his candidates on a fair basis. Coach Mitchell also explained that while a pitcher may seem to be a world-beater in the cage, his fielding or batting may show up to bad advantage when he gets outdoors.

Coach Dempsey has been forced to keep the Freshman squad in the cage all week because the University team has been usurping the Freshman Field. However, if Ground-Keeper Dennis Enwright's predictions come true, the Second Team field will be in good condition Monday and the 1927 players are hoping to begin their outside work then. Coach Dempsey has four more days of practice before his first game than the University team but even at that he will find it no easy task to sort out the best possible combination before that date.