GLORY ENOUGH

Since the University Glee Club has not deteriorated perceptibly in the last few years, and since for two years there have been clubs capable of defeating it in the annual contest, it is clear that the other clubs have substantially improved in this time. And as Dr. Davison's purpose has been to stimulate interest in music and singing--and with reference to the University Glee Club--to train his men to sing the best things satisfactorily, rather than to sing everything better than any other chorus this improvement of the other clubs is, for him almost as much of a triumph as the re-capturing of an often-won trophy by his own club would be.

And this is not the reaction of a "sour-grapes" complex. It is no secret that the University Glee Club, and the University would have chosen rather to return with the trophy than to see the high standard which it set and alone maintained for such a long time, finally attained and even surpassed by other glee clubs. But after all, it is glory enough to have stimulated such keen and inspiriting competition. If the trophy and the first place are highly prized by the University Glee Club, it now has, in its turn, an additional incentive to try for greater perfection.