FOUND FIGHTING IN GALLIPOLI NO PICNIC

Says One-Quarter of Army Died of Dysentery-Has Just Received S. B. for Honorable Service

"The failure of an officer to advance his troops upon command, because he had read in some military text book that forces should never be advanced into territory where the water supply is doubtful-such was the deciding factor in the defeat of the Gallipoli expedition", stated Mr. John Gallishaw '16 last night at the Union in a lecture on the campaign.

"If the British had gone ahead before the Turks could arrive on the scene, the campaign would not have ended in miserable failure for the British. That one blunder changed the course of the whole affair."

Mr. Gallishaw, having gone through the Gallipoli campaign as a member of the Newfoundland Regiment, described the hardships of the expedition from first hand experience. "Ypres, considered the worst sector on the Western front, I later learned was a Paradise compared to Gallipoli. In the latter place we were handicapped by the adobe soil, in which only shallow ditches could be dug for shelter. These and our pith helmets were hardly protection against snipers and shrapnel.

"The fact that one-fourth of our men died of dysentery and other like diseases shows the condition of our food supply. And in addition to lack of food, the water supply was very limited and often poisonous.

"From no angle can the Gallipoli Campaign be called a picnic."

Although a comparatively small audience was present at the lecture, Mr. Gallishaw's words were followed with great interest. After the formal lecture, he remained to answer questions from the floor.

Mr. Gallishaw has recently been awarded an S. B. degree for honorable service in the war, having enlisted from the University before completing his work for a degree.