QUINTET COMES INTO ITS OWN AT LAST

Last Night's Basketball Victory Is Harvard's First Triumph Over the Green Since 1922 Football Game

Basketball of a brand never before displayed by a Harvard team sent the Big Green Dartmouth five back to Hanover last night on the short end of a 38 to 16 score. The Crimson quinset maintained from the first whistle to the last the stellar game shown hitherto only in occasional dazzling flashes, and the Dartmouth team was so completely outplayed that the final issue was never in doubt.

It was Harvard's first athletic victory over Dartmouth since the football game a year ago last fall, and the first time that a Harvard basketball team has ever triumphed over the Green since the resumption of the sport after the war. The Wah-Hoo-Wahs that have echoed so blatantly over the gridiron diamond in acclaiming recent Dartmouth victories were very feeble last night. It was emphatically Harvard's day.

Start Second String

The Indian stalked into the Nemenway Gymnasium with the confidence bred by one triumph over Harvard and sundry other victories over its Intercollegiate League rivals. he sent his second-string warriors after the Crimson scalp, but the supposed victim was in no mood to stand the red skins outrages, and with the battle half over the invaders called for help. The proud Hanover chieftan summoned his strongest front, but to no purpose. The second half was as much of a rout as the first.

For nineteen minutes in the first half the impregnable Harvard defense warded off every attempt for a goal from the floor. Just as the period was ending, however, Tully caged a basket which, coupled with five fouls, gave Dartmouth a bare seven points for the half. To match these Harvard had 19.

First Team Also Outscored

The entrance of Captain Friedmann, Edwards, and Sailer at the opening of the second half brought momentary solace to the waning Dartmouth hopes. Edwards tallied from the tap-off, but that was the extent of the lanky center's scoring. Rauh proceeded to play him to a standstill and registered three pretty baskets while holding his opponent, rated as the best center in the Intercollegiate League, completely in check. Friedmann and Sailer proved little more, and instead of fading away the Crimson lead took on far more decisive proportions. A Harvard five, presumably tired, outscored Dartmouth's best 19 to 9 in the second half.

Captain Gordon excelled as never before this season. He refrained entirely from his wonted long-range shooting, and his passing and dribbling were things to marvel at. Smith was almost equally good and the two teamed together perfectly. Black and Rudofsky were superb on the defense, as the record of four field goals by Dartmouth indicated.

Last night's victory was just what the team needed. It has battled League teams on even terms all season only to lose each game at the end. Harvard  Dartmouth Smith, Merriam, r.f.  l.g., Goas, Sailer Gordon, l.f.  r.g., Tully, Goas Rauh, Combs, c.  c., Jones, Watkins, Edwards Black, r.g.  l.f., Dooley Rudofsky, l.g.  r.f., Shaneman, Friedmann

Score, Harvard 33, Dartmouth 16. Goals from the floor, Gordon 3, Rauh 3, Smith 2, Black, Rudofsky, Friedmann, Edwards, Tully, Goas. Goals from fouls. Gordon 5, Rauh 4, Black 4, Rudofsky 4, Smith, Goas 4, Shaneman 3, Friedmann, Dooley. Time, 20-minute halves. Referee, McGuinness. Umpire, Sullivan.