Memorial Dining Hall May Shut Down Unless More Men Sign Up; Circular Letter Will Attempt to Locate the Trouble

Following close upon the CRIMSON's recent statement that over 2300 Harvard students eat their meals outside of the various dining halls maintained exclusively for members of the University, comes the announcement from the office of Mr. F. S. Mead '87. University Comptroller, that dwindling attendance at the Memorial Hall dining room and the Memorial cafeteria may cause the restaurant service now being rendered in Memorial Hall by the University to be seriously altered or even discontinued altogether.

This announcement has appeared in the form of a circular letter signed by Mr. Mead, copies of which are now in the mails, addressed to every one of the 5700 Harvard students regularly attending classes in Cambridge.

In this letter, Mr. Mead sets forth the purpose of the University in operating the Memorial Hall restaurants. He then declares that since the War the attendance at Memorial Hall has steadily declined and asks for personal replies stating frankly what the trouble is with the present dining hall system and what should be done about it.

On the basis of these replies definite action in regard to discontinuing or reorganising the Memorial Hall restaurants will probably be taken in the near future, as the attendance at Memorial Hall is at an extremely low ebb, only 350 men eating regularly at the dining hall and less than 300 at the criteria.