SOMMARIPA REVIEWS RUSSIAN SHOW AT BRATTLE HALL TODAY

Praises Ballet as Something New in Interpretative Dancing

Tonight in Brattle Hall, Mine. Maria Kedrina with her students of Russian Ballet is giving a Miniature Ballet Divertissement, and the following criticism is written by Mr. G. C. Sommaripa, Russian nobleman and recent graduate of the Business School. Mr. Sommaripa's intimate knowledge of the Ballet gives to his remarks the stamp of authority.

"Many generations of love and hard work have developed the Russian ballet. The leading school where thousands of students have accomplished their education to make the name of Russian Ballet in the world of art, was the Russian Imperial Ballet School of St. Petersburg. Tonight a pupil of this school, Mme. Maria Kedrina, will give her Spectacle recital in Brattle Hall. During the past ten years we have often hard that technique is destroying freedom of movement, and that because of it the dance appears to be unnatural and insincere; that study of the historical progress of the dance is necessary; and other ideas of similar import.

As the dance performed with perfect technique but without imagination and spiritual expression is not art, so the dance without technique also is not art. Only with technique is it, possible to subject the body and movements to the will power, and to express through poses and movements all the emotions of the heart.