THE MAN OF THE HOUR

When Ramsay MacDonald assumed the reins of government for the British people some months ago, the general attitude was one of anxious question. Now that Labor had come into its own, what would it do with its newly appointed power? That this universal question is being reassuringly answered, was demonstrated by Mr. Sidney Wicks, the editor of the Manchester "Guardian" in his talk before the Liberal Club yesterday.

Coming from the guiding spirit of one of England's most widely read newspaper, Mr. Wicks' estimate of the Labor premier carries more than the usual amount of authority, beside presenting Ramsay MacDonald in a totally new light to most Americans, whose stereotype of a labor leader is but little removed from that of a moderate Bolshevist. Ramsay MacDonald, apparently, is neither a Radical nor a Socialist.

The most significant feature of his political personality, as presented by Mr. Wicks, is that the Prime Minister has a tremendous breadth of vision, which looks toward future internationalism, and yet retains a sense of proportion strong enough to keep his immediate ideals within reasonable limits. In the modern type of statesmen, and in fact in any type past or present, this quality of being able to see beyond the boundaries and prejudices of one particular nation is rare indeed. When combined with a perception of present limitations, its occurrence is more unusual still.

Premier MacDonald is far-sighted enough to look forward to that inevitable hour when his present tenure of office must come to an end. If at that time, he can point back to a record unmarred by internal schisms in the ranks of his followers, or by action colored by partisan sympathy, he will ensure for himself and his party the whole-hearted respect and admiration of the British people, and also of the world at large.