SLATTERY SLASHES SQUAD TO 31 MEN

Almost 20 Players Report to Coach Stuart for Scrubs' Initial Practice--More Expected

A cut in the University baseball squad was announced yesterday, and the 31 players who have been kept took an afternoon's rest in watching the Red Sox Jose to Philadelphia at Fenway Park. This visit to a major league game was a weekly feature last season, and Manager Pantaleoni announced that it is likely to become a permanent fixture this year.

Although there was no practice for the University team yesterday, Coach Slattery will have the whole squad working out this afternoon in preparation for the Bates game tomorrow. The return of Cordingley, who has entirely recovered from his injury and who is now ready to pitch again, will bolster the hurling staff appreciably. Coach Slattery will have all nine of the pitchers whom he has retained in good shape to take the mound assignment tomorrow.

Coach Stuart Starts Work

Coach Stuart, former major league player, Boston University coach and hockey referee, took up his duties yesterday as second team coach. About twenty men reported for practice and he expects more today.

The men retained on the University squad are as follows: pitchers, Brown, Casto, Cordingley, K. N. Hill, Nash, Norris, Puffer, Spalding and Toulmin; catchers, Cheek, Larabee and Samborski; infielders, Bullard, Campbell, Evans, Field, Hammond, F. S. Hill, Jenkins, Keene, Knowlton, Mann, McGlone, and Slayton; outfielders, Burgess, Burton, Chase, Gordon, A. G. Rogers, A. S. Rogers and Todd.