UNDERGRADUATES SUBMIT NEW PLAN FOR SPEAKERS

U. S. GOVERNMENT WOULD BE ONLY BAR

The recent controversy over the question of speakers at the Union may be definitely settled in the near future, it became known last night, when the Undergraduate Committee announced it had made a specific proposal to the Governing Board. The latter body is expected to discuss the proposal at its meeting this week.

The plan of the Committee in brief is that if 200 members of the Union show by petition that they wish to hear a certain speaker, and if the Undergraduate Committee approves the choice, the speaker shall be invited to the Union. At present the Governing Board passes on proposed speakers. The new plan calls for consultation with the Governing Board, but leaves the final approbation or rejection of a speaker with the Undergraduate Committee alone.

The following letter explaining the plan in detail and giving the Undergraduate Committee's feeling regarding the need of a change has been sent to all members of the Governing Board:

"The Union Undergraduate Committee believes that the appointment of a Special Speakers Committee by the Governing Board means real progress toward a more balanced program of speakers at the Union. We wish to aid that Committee in every possible way. But the real issue should not be forgotten. It must be remembered that the Speakers Committee can be overruled at any time by the Governing Board. It is also ob- vious that the student members of the Union themselves, as represented by the Undergraduate Committee, may have their preferences as regards speakers disregarded at any time. We strongly believe that the wishes of the students ought not to be disregarded, even though it is plain that some of Harvard's alumni will object to certain unorthodox men being invited to the Union.

Submit New Scheme

"The principle at stake is clear. Shall or shall not the active members of the Harvard Union be permitted to hear in the halls of their Club the speakers they desire? As a further step in the direction taken by the appointment of a Speakers Committee, we submit to the Governing Board the following:

"'That thereafter when 200 resident members of the Harvard Union show by petition that they wish to hear a certain speaker and when the Undergraduate Committee approves the choice, that speaker should be invited to the Union, provided that he is permitted to lecture in public by the Government of the United States.'

Will Seek Mature Counsel

"It is understood that the Undergraduate Committee will not pass on any speaker without first consulting the opinion of the Governing Board and seeking other mature counsel. We suggest that the Governing Board appoint a person, perhaps the Chairman of the Speakers Committee to attend in an advisory capacity meetings of the Undergraduate Committee at which possible speakers are to be discussed.

"The Undergraduate Committee submits the foregoing after more than a month of deliberation; and only after mature consultation with members of the Board of Overseers and Corporation, the President of the University, the President of the Student Council, the members of the Union Governing Board, members of the Harvard College Faculty and Law School Faculty, and the members of the Harvard Union itself.