THE HOUSE BEAUTIFUL

One of the less conspicuous but no less desirable actions recommended during Tuesday's active session of the Student Council was the renovation of Weld and Matthews to be used as Senior dormitories. The popularity of the Senior dormitory system probably unexpected when the system was inaugurated has resulted in the constant increase of the number of Seniors in the yard the reserving of additional dormitories for Seniors stone until only Weld and Matthews are now left for Juniors and Sophomores.

Even under these circumstances, it was necessary last spring to turn away 138 Seniors who applied for Yard rooms, because there were no more rooms. If the original purpose of the whole plan is to be retained-which was to get each class together again after two years of separation and possibly, of disintegration, to weld it into one loyal, compact unit before it was finally scattered to the four corners of the world-it seems most desirable that provision for the whole class be made. And the reserving of Weld and Matthews would just about care for the Senior overflow.

On the other hand, whether Weld and Matthews are to be delivered over to the Seniors, or whether they are still to be open to ordinary mortals, there is no apparent reason-except, expense-why their rooms should not be modernized ater the fashion of Grays. It is bad enough that nothing can be done to exteriors of these two exhibits. The interiors at least ought to receive whatever attention can reasonably be given them.