PRINCETON FRESHMEN BACK IN THE OLD RUT

Only Black Shoes and Raincoats Allowed--Juniors and Seniors Again Sport Silk Hats--Yale Has Similar Rules

"No Freshmen shall wear fur coats", was the first in a series of radical decrees announced yesterday by the Senior. Council at Princeton for first year men beginning with the class of 1928.

This move follows a similar regulation at Williams, and continues a policy which has been instituted in the majority of colleges throughout the country.

Other changes announced include a return of the "black shoe" era for Freshmen. This ban forbidding Freshmen to wear tea shoes had been lifted by the first 1924 Senior Council which was recently voted out of office after it had abolished the annual "Flour Picture" and various other sacred college institutions.

In the future also, Freshmen will be prohibited from wearing yellow slickers, a plain black slicker, a plain black slicker being required. The spinning of tops, and marble playing for upperclassmen have been dropped from the list of customs. However, the privilege of wearing silk hats has been restored to Juniors and Seniors.

Marks Definite Stand

At a time when there is considerable agitation against the whole question of Freshman traditions, the decisive step at Princeton is a definite stand in favor of the retention of Freshman customs.

Harvard is the only large University where there are no restrictions governing Freshmen. Where the majority of institutions consider the institution of Freshman customs an important method in acquainting first-year men with college traditions, it is noticeable that in Harvard, a university seeped with tradition, Freshman regulations do not exist.

At New Haven, Yale Freshmen are not permitted to sit in the orchestra of Shubert's theatre, or to eat in Morey's restaurant. They must not enter the Hotel Garde, and must carry matches at all times for the convenience of upperclassmen. Freshmen are forbidden to sit on the Sophomore fence, except on the day of the Yale-Harvard Freshman baseball game when Yale wins. They are excluded from the Junior Prom, and only seniors are allowed to go without a hat, or to play marbles.

Other Colleges Have Restrictions

At Lafayette, Freshmen are permitted to smoke only corn-cob pipes. Should an upperclassman call "Hit it up!" Freshmen in the vicinity must run with their small red caps in their mouths, and their hands stretched over their heads.

Princeton has always been a leader in instigating a rigorous schedule of regulations for Freshmen. The following is the complete set of rules prescribed by the Senior Council for the restriction of the first-year men, and the edification of the three upper classes:

Freshman should not wear college colors in any form.

Only black shoes, socks, and ties may be worn.

After the 9 o'clock bell has been rung in the evening, Freshmen are expected. to remain in their rooms.

The above restrictions apply until Washington's Birthday only.

Freshmen are expected to speak to other Freshmen.

The regulation headdress for Freshmen is a black skull cap. This cap should not be worn when a Freshman is accompained by visitors or on the days of a Harvard or Yale football or baseball game.

Black slickers, black rubber hats, or black worsted hats are permissible at any time. Freshmen are not allowed to wear yellow slickers.

Freshmen should not walk on the grass.

Freshmen should not smoke on the street or on the Campus.

Freshmen should not enter Renwick's.

Playing football or baseball on the Campus is forbidden to Freshmen. This restriction does not apply to Brokaw Field.

Freshmen should not walk on the walk in front of Nassau Hall or on McCosh Walk.

Seniority of class determines the possession of the sidewalk; therefore Freshmen should get off the walk for every other class.

Unless accompained by visitors, Freshmen should not occupy seats in the new stands at University Field.

Freshmen are always expected to carry wood for the bonfire celebration of important athletic victories.

The riding of bicycles by Freshmen is forbidden.

White flannels or knickerbockers can only be worn when playing tennis or golf.

Freshmen are not to go without a coat.

The wearing of silk hats is the privilege of Junior and Seniors.

The "Horseshoe" seats in Alexander Hall are reserved for Seniors. All Sophomores and Freshmen must sit in the balcony.

Only Seniors have the privilege of sitting around the Sun Dial.

Taking effect next fall, Freshmen will not be allowed to wear fur coats