REPRESSION AND DISCRIMINATION

That there should continue to be regulations for the guidance and suppression of Freshmen, even at so generally liberal a college as Princeton, is not surprising. Some of the rules are the very essence of wisdom. Knowing the inherent tendency of the newly-liberated "yearling" ordinarily defined, as Dean Briggs once pointed out, as "a beast in the second year of its age"--to indulge in exotic apparel. Princeton has played safe by, insisting on the conservative and inoffensive black.

On the other hand, it seems a bit strange that such marks as skull-caps should be necessary to distinguish the Freshmen from the rest. It is said that no one can tell a Harvard man much; but it is certain that one can tell a Freshman. If one is a Senior Advisor, one may tell him a great deal. The Princeton rules, however, follow their course to its logical end; the Freshmen may not wear the college colors, and thus bring them into disrepute; they may not jeopardize themselves by venturing from their rooms after nine o'clock; worse of all, they are strictly enjoined to speak to other Freshmen.

Harvard cannot feel entirely free from such discrimination. Freshmen are not treated here like everyone else. In fact, they are required to live in the best dormitories in Cambridge.