THIRTEEN NEW WHERRIES TO BE LAUNCHED AT WELD

SCULLERS TO COMPETE FOR CUPS IN SPRING REGATTA

Complete plans for sculling for the coming season were announced yesterday by the Department of Physical Education through Mr. Wachter. Sculling will begin this year on April 7, the slight delay in starting being due to the storm yesterday, and to the unavoidable confusion in getting the crews on the water during the first two weeks.

Regular sculling was organized by Coach Wachter two years ago, and the sport has proved immensely popular, both as a form of required exercise for Freshmen, and as a means for becoming proficient in a form of rowing which may be enjoyed, not only in collegiate competition, but for pleasure at any time in the future.

Equipment Extended

The equipment this year has been enhanced by the addition to 13 new wheries, and tow new single shells. Each year an increased interest has manifested itself in sculling, and the additional equipment is supplied to meet a recognized demand. This will give the University one of the most complete equipments for sculling for colleges in the country.

All sculling this year will be from Weld boathouse. In the past, considerable confusion has resulted by a small number of men rowing from Newell, and the change requiring all scullers to row from Weld is designed to give Coach Wachter the complete oversight of all men in the activity.

Freshmen Will Get Attention

Coach Wachter has announced he will devote a considerable portion of his time to the Freshmen who elect sculling as their form of required exercise. In-experienced men are expected to report from 11 to 3 o'clock, since that time has been set aside for individual instruction to men reporting for the first time. From 3 to 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Coach Wachter will give his attention to the more experienced men.

The spring regatta will be held as usual this year, with the Regent's and Carroll's cup, together with medals, offered as awards. These races, which include wherry, compromise, Novice, Junior, and Senior Singles, and double scullings events, will be for the University championships. Last year over 100 men participated in this regatta, which is one of the most important events in the spring crew season.

Chance For Intercollegiate

While it is doubtful whether there will be any intercollegiate competition in sculling events, this year, entries may be sent in for some regatta later in the season. Last year an entry to the singles and doubles events in the Schulykill Regatta at Philadelphia was made, and the men entered the Club competition, rowing against the national and worlds champion scullers, Gilmore, Kelley and Costello. Although beaten, the University oarsmen made a very creditable showing.

Coach Wachter believes that sculling is an excellent preparation for men who may aspire to row on University crews, although there is no definite training with that end in view. Two men who were sculling last year, Chester Dane '26, Carl Hussey '26, and W. Stillwell '24, are now rowing on crews under University coaches. J. A. Crooks '25, winner of the Carroll Cup last year, and University singles entry in the Schulyhill Regatta last year, will be in all probability the most promising candidate for his event this year. Boles Penrose '25 is another sculler who made rapid progress last year, and who it is expected will provide considerable opposition in the Carroll Cup event.