Progress All Along the Line Reported As P.B.H. Officers Render Account

At the annual dinner of the Phillips Brooks House Association held last night, fourteen officers made their report for the current year 1923-24.

In addition to the President, Treasurer, Librarian, and Religious Work Secretary, there are included in the list the heads of the Christian Association, St. Paul's Catholic Club, St. Paul's Society, Chapel Committee, Mission Committee, Graduate Schools Society, Medical School Society, Dental School Society, Law School Society, and Social Service Committee. The reports in full follow:

Brooks House Is Worth the Candle President Finds

With a few exceptions, the detailed work of the Brooks House is covered in the reports of the various committees represented on the Cabinet. A few independent activities, however, can best be mentioned here.

First of these chronologically, is the Spread held on Class Day last year under our auspices. As usual, this filled a large need, and was as successful as it deserved to be, under the able managership of Malcolm Morse'24. The attendance was about 400, as compared to 322 last year.

Handbooks Soon Exhausted

The Harvard Handbook, Editor, Frederick Flather '23, Business Manager, A. M. White '25, proved not only a help to old students, but almost a necessity to many bewildered freshmen who scarcely knew where Harvard Square was. Also, the Handbook gives the Freshman his first conception of undergraduate organizations, and an understanding of what activities he is best suited for. The success of the Handbook can be measured by the demand for the edition. Many men kept applying for copies long after the supply was completely exhausted.

Cheek Gave Information

The Information Bureau this year was run by M. A. Cheek '26. Its purpose is to help students find rooms at the opening of college, also as an intermediary in furniture bargaining, and to answer any questions by new students it can. Each year more men come to the Information Bureau for assistance, and now it is obliged to begin its work two weeks before the opening of college.

On September 26th, the Freshman Reception was held. About 350 members were present. The speakers were: E. C. Carter '00; Captain Hubbard of the football team; F. A. O. Schwarz '24; J. McK. Kimball '24, Oliver LaFarge '24, representing the Crimson, Lampoon, and Advocate respectively; Alexander Mackey-Smith '24, President of the Glee Club; B. M. Henry '24 presiding.

Monday Freshman Talks

Later, as a natural sequence to this first meeting, a series of Monday night meetings were held in Smith Halls Common Room under the direction of Dean Sperry and a committee of students. Among the speakers were Dean Sperry, Bishop Slattery, and Dean Brown of Yale.

Open House on Thanksgiving Day was under the management of J. P. Hubbard '25, 125 men appeared. At a similar entertainment over Christmas 85 men appeared. J. L. Combs '26 was in charge.

Such are the details of general work not connected with any committees. So far as increased numbers of attendance, etc. goes, the report is encouraging, and shows that a few more men are interested in the work of Brooks House than last year.

As for giving out any statement that Brooks House occupies its due importance and prestige among the undergraduates, that is impossible, for it does not. Since the present graduating class has been in college, Brooks House has been respectable, conscientious, and vaguely approved of. But interest?--Have the majority of the college showed the interest in Brooks House that not only its position in the Yard, but the greatness of its founder and the power of its purpose deserves? Perhaps five hundred men have been connected with it in the past year. Many of these have been in boys clubs and other social service work, and the presence of their names on the roster is more due to the efficiency of the Social Service Committee than to any innate interest in the Brooks House itself. The work connected with our Association should be at least as important as the work of any of our publications, and as much a duty as trying for any college team. We do not reach half enough men. Even to the men elected to our committees, our work does not seem vital enough to sacrifice other activities for it. A man does not say, "I can not do that; I am working for the Brooks House." He says, "Sure I'll do it; the Brooks House can wait."

Need Prominent Men's Time

The writer of this report does not pretend that he is better than anyone else in this respect; he has probably been worse. In a final report, however, one hopes to pass on to future officers something which will suggest to them what the Brooks House ought to be. The same number of prominent men in each class should be giving all their extra time to Brooks House as are giving it, for example, to the Crimson.

The Building itself should be used more by the college at large, and all speakers on religious topics should come to the Brooks House for their speeches. This is very strongly the plan of your next president, and therefore my voicing it is superfluous.

Conversion By Argument Best

As for interest in speakers, controversial speakers draw the largest crowds, as evinced by the Dr. Grant and Dr. Straton meetings. Of course men like Bishop Lawrence, who hold a great position in the Church, are not included in this discussion. But the quickest way to interest the undergraduates is to get them arguing. And arguing is the only way they will ever come to cement their plastic beliefs. It is good for them to disagree, for only by refuting someone else can they convince themselves. Some may believe that argument and controversy have no place in true religion. If that is the case, true religion has no place among young men.

Urges 7 O'clock Chapel

The Chapel Hour should be changed to seven o'clock. I warrant that the more men there are at Chapel, the more men there will be who take an interest in Brooks House. This seems like putting the cart before the horse. Nevertheless, all these things are closely connected in the interest--or present lack of it--towards religious matters in the University.

In past years, the custom has been too much to perform Brooks House duties as necessary and unavoidable routine--tedious work which one owes to the community. That is a totally false idea,--Brooks House work can be made more interesting than any other activity in the University, if once it can be made to strike the fancy of the undergraduates, and if once the officers make it their sole "outside" activity.

The work of the Graduate Secretary deserves praise surpassing the praise of mere amateur enthusiasm. He has carried the active responsibility and his unremitting faithfulness has been a back-bone to the undergraduates, and should be a model.

Phillips Brooks House has all the potentialities of a sudden great expansion, in interest and in work done. So far that expansion has not come. Will it come next year? Respectfully submitted,   B. M. Henry '24, President.

Financial Standing "Compares Favorably" With Other Years

The fiscal year for the Phillips Brooks House Association does not end until May 31. Consequently at this time it is impossible to give a complete statement of the finances for the year 1923-24.

The opening week of College was held the annual financial drive with three district chairmen, G. P., Baker '25, Morrison Mills '25, and W. L. Boyden '25. Under their direction eighty-four canvassers, members of the Senior, Junior, and Sophomore classes, did the actual work of collection. As the result of this drive the contributions from undergraduate members of the University amounted to $3,947.60. In addition to this there have been contributions of over $1,000 from members of the Graduate Schools, the Law School, the Dental School, and the Medical School. The total contributions amounted to $4,963.40. Added to this were contributions of graduates proper of $3,212.78. Also friends of the Association and members of the faculty gave $705. Thus the grand total of contributions amounted to $8,881.40.

The expenditures have included the usual items for stenography, printing, postage, stationery, telephone, and other office expenses. The bank balance April 1st was $1,759.96. As these figures indicate, the financial condition of the Phillips Brooks House Association at the present time is very satisfactory and compares very favorably with the condition in recent years.  Respectfully submitted,  GARDNER COWLES '25, Treasurer.

Christian Association Wants More "Personal Appeal"

The exact function of a Christian Association in the religious welfare of a university is quite impossible of definition; its activities constantly change as the conditions around it change. What was a need a few years back, ceases to be such today. New enterprises are undertaken; old ones are given up or done in another way, Thus, the work of each year differs from that of the preceeding.

Welcomed Freshmen

Early last spring, letters were sent out by the New Student Committee to various schools requesting the names of men expecting to enter Harvard in the fall. In the summer, when the list of Freshmen was almost complete, personal letters of welcome were sent to seven hundred of the entering class. After college opened, each of the fifty members of the New Student Committee was assigned a certain number of first year men on whom he called. As the size of the Freshman class continues to be large, more men will have to be put on the committee in order to reach students living outside the dormitories.

Foreign Students Advised

In September the Foreign Student Committee made up a list of advisors who helped the students from other lands adjust themselves to the new surroundings. Two weeks after college opened, a reception was held for these students in Phillips Brooks House and other meetings with the Cosmopolitan Club and the Technology Club took place during the year. Both this committee and that for new students was headed by M. A. Cheek '26.

Fosdick, Grant, Straton Spoke

For the first time, the Association this year had direct supervision of the twelve Monday Night Meetings for Freshmen. Dean Sperry of the Harvard Theological School was in charge, and was assisted by Bishop Slattery, Dean Brown of Yale, and Reverend Sidney Lovett of Boston Other meetings, open to the university, were addressed by Dr. Fosdick, Bishop Brent, and Sherwood Eddy, while in the winter a series of three lectures on science and religion was given by Professors Parker and Lyman of the University and Professor Lane of Tufts College. Recently, two meetings relating to the religious controversy Dr. Percy Stickney Grant and Reverend John Roach Straton, both of New York, spoke. In general, the attendance at most of these gatherings has been very good. Dr. Fosdick spoke to about 400, while 700 and 400 heard Dr. Grant and Dr. Straton respectively. In addition to the meetings, five informal Bible Study groups, a total of seventy men, have been holding discussions each week in the dormitories. A number of professors and students of the Episcopal Theological School, have acted as leaders. The chairman of the committee on meetings and Bible Study has been H. H. MacCubbin '26.

Brought Learning To Jails

Under the direction of H. P. Sharp '25, the social service committee secured a number of men to help at the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. in leading boys' clubs and conducting classes for men wishing to take the naturalization examinations. This along with teaching elementary subjects to prisoners at the East Cambridge jail comprised the more important phase of the work. The social service committee has done well during the two years of its existence.

Eight deputations teams have been sent out since the fall to talk to groups of high school boys. A delegation last week took charge of a conference of one hundred and fifty boys in Lawrence. Besides this, deputations have visited seven small towns. The men have spent two days in these communities, taking part in the boys' activities on Saturday and leading in the church services on Sunday. This work has proved most valuable, over thirteen hundred people being reached, and its continuance is warranted. A. D. Phillips '26 has initiated and carried on this new activity.

Big Silver Bay Delegation

The Silver Bay Delegation of thirty-four men last June was the largest since the War. Credit for this good showing is due to W. E. Crosby '24, the chairman. Plans for the coming conference which will be held this year from June 12-20 have already been stated by W. H. Gratwick '25. A committee of twenty-four men has been appointed to give out information regarding the nature of the Conference.

Urges Personal Appeals

Although the activities of the Association have widened, the tendency is still present to emphasize organization at the expense of failing to make a personal appeal to any larger number of students. The work done has been necessary and has shown an encouraging progress due to the continuous efforts of the chairman of the committees, but the danger of the Association's becoming a purely executive department must ever be guarded against. This and other problems remain for future cabinets to solve.

The Association is very grateful for the splendid help and advice given by F. C. Lawrence '20.  Respectfully submitted,  R. H. Sears '24, President.

St. Paul's Society Needs Full-Time Chaplain

The work of the Society started very successfully with the annual reception for the students at the Christ Church Parish House. Accepting the invitation of the Rev. Prescott Evarts, nearly one hundred men attended, the largest number we have had in recent years. Mr. Evarts introduced the speakers; Mr. R. E. Bacon, dean of the Class of 1927; Professor E. H. Edgell; and the Rt. Rev. William Lawrence, Bishop of Massachusetts. The evening closed very pleasantly.

At the first business meeting held on October 1 was a letter explaining the work of the Society, and a program of activities was drawn up. These were subsequently sent to all the Episcopalian students in the University.

75 Social Service Workers

The social service work was well managed by L. H. Roots '26. By the first of November about 75 men were engaged in some kind of social or religious work in Boston and Cambridge. This is the most satisfactory work the Society has done this year.

Services of evening prayer were held during October and the first two weeks of November. During the last of November and December the Rev. Angus Dun officiated at a Holy Communion service held every Thursday morning in the Phillips Brooks House. However, the attendance was so small at these services that after the vacation they were discontinued.

Proposes Chaplain For Students

A great lack has been felt by all those connected with the Society in the absence of a chaplain for the students. There was no one who could give the necessary time to this work of advising and standing ready to help the students. Mr. Dun gave us valuable aid; but his time was largely taken up by his duties at the Episcopal Theological School. Sincere gratitude is due to him for the valuable aid he did give. The retiring officers feel that need of a chaplain who can give his whole time and energy to the work among the students.

On February 27 the officers for next year were elected:

President, J. P. Hubbard '26.

Vice-President, J. McC. Roots '25.

Treasurer, H. H. MacCubbin '26.

Secretary, S. W. Bell '25.

Social Service Secretary, F. P. Taft '26.  Respectfully submitted,  R. S. HUBBARD '24, President.

Chapel Committee Opposes Any Change in Hour

After the close of the University in June, 1923, no services were held in Appleton Chapel until July 2, when the first service for the Summer School students was conducted by the Rev. B. P. Tyler. During the term of the School there were thirty morning services, with an average attendance at the first 29 services of 38. When this is compared with the figures for some preceding years which show an average in 1919 of 40; in 1920 of 60; in 1921 of 70; and in 1922 of 81, it appears that there was a considerable decrease of over 40 percent. There seems to be no reason for this except that the students found less need for the services than in previous years or that they were not aware of the services. Neither of these reasons is very conclusive, and leaves it as a desirable end for the future that such a decrease be not allowed to recur. The last service of the term was attended by 1025 students. During the summer the following preachers spoke at the morning services: Rev. B. P. Tyler, Rev. S. R. Fisher, Rev. W. H. Powell, Rev. H. G. Arnold, Rev. E. P. Daniels, Rev. Kirsopp Lake.

Had Summer School Choir

In addition to the morning services there were held in the Chapel a series of organ recitals, given by Mr. Arthur M. Phelps, the Summer School organist, on July 11, 18, 25, and August 1. At the daily service, the Summer School choir furnished singing for which they prepared at rehearsals every Tuesday and Thursday.

--

The services at the Chapel were discontinued after August 10 until the opening week of the Academic Year in September. The morning services for the first week were conducted by members of the Faculty according to the usual custom. They were: Professor T. N. Carver, Professor C. Magruder, President Lowell, Professor G. H. Beale, Dr. Niles Carpenter, Rev. E. C. Moore.

List of Chapel Preachers

Throughout the rest of the year the custom was that the preacher of Sunday should conduct the services for the succeeding days. This of course was not invariably the case, and often there were as many as five different men in charge of the daily services of a single week. The preachers who conducted the morning services from October 1 to April 1 were: Rev. H. E. B. Speight, Boston, Rev. E. C. Moore, Rev. J. R. P. Sclater, Edinburgh, Rev. W. W. Fenn, Rev. W. I. Sperry, Rev. C. L. Slattery, Bishop Coadjutor of Massachusetts, Rev. C. R. Brown of Yale, Rev. B. P. Tyler, Rev. Palfrey Perkins, Weston, Archbishop Soderblom, Primate of Sweden, Rev. S. R. Fisher, Rev. F. M. Eliot, St. Paul, Minnesota, Rev. H. E. Fosdick, New York City, Rev. P. R. Frothingham, Boston, Rev. T. R. Glover, England, Rev. Abbot Peterson, Brookline, Rev. Frederick Palmer, Cambridge, Rev. F. J. McConnell, Pittsburgh, Rev. T. G. Soares, Chicago, Rev. H. K. Sherrill, Boston, Rev. J. E. Park, Boston, Rev. C. H. Brent, Buffalo, Professor A. N. Holcombe, Professor G. H. Palmer, Professor H. W. Holmes, Mr. John F. Moors, Rev. Raymond Calkins, Cambridge, Rev. R. H. Potter, Hartford, Rev. V. T. Pomeroy; England.

Morning Attendance Decreased

In the matter of attendance at the daily services, there was a considerable falling off from that of last year and the years preceding as is shown by the following schedule:

Averages for daily attendance:

September  163  158  123  121October  102  109  110  84November  92  92  91  66December  81  95  59  75January  73  76  55  54February  67  63  75  46March  68  69  71  61Average  92  94  83  72Percent increase  2.1  *11.7  *13.2Year  20-21  21-22  22-23  23-2