HARVARD MAKES HITS AS WELL AS ERRORS

Hand Home Team a Scare by Chalking Up Two Run Lead--Brown Passes Eight and Hits Two in Seven Innings

The Middlebury nine gave Harvard a scare in the first inning yesterday by landing on Brown for two runs, but the Crimson came back with five scores in the last half and won much as it pleased, 11 to 5. Todd had another field day at the bat with a home run and two singles in four times up the last of his singles going for the circuit when it went through the center fielder. Hammond also made a home run.

Brown started on the mound but he was yanked after the seventh inning on account of his wildness. Even with a seven-run lead and instructions of let Middlebury hit, the Harvard southpaw was unable to get the ball over the plate. After he had passed eight men and hit two, Coach Slattery's patience gave out, and he sent Toulmin to the box. The latter breezed through the last two innings without trouble.

Kievenow Repeats Stadium Work

Brown fanned Papke, the little Middlebury shortstop, to start the game, but Captain Hastings singled to right. Novotny fouled to Cheek. Klevenow, giant fullback who kicked two goals from the field in the Stadium last fall, did his best toward a Middlebury victory by smashing out a double which advanced his captain to third. Whitney singled, scoring both men. Brown then passed a man and filled the bases by messing up an easy grounder, but he put on steam and struck out the next hitter.

Harvard came back strong in the last half. McGlone, starting for the first time in left field, struck out. Campbell walked and too third on Gordon's double of left. Then Todd caught one on the trade-mark and lined to left center for one of the longest home runs ever made on Soldiers Field. The ball came to rest on the lacrosse field, beyond the Freshman bleachers. Jenkins walked, and Hammond emulated Todd by driving out another home run over the left fielder's head. Slayton was safe on an error, but he was caught stealing and Cheek was an easy out.

Brown Supported Well

Brown was fairly wild in the second, but good support helped him to escape unscathed. In the third, however, he was still wilder. After two were out he walked two men and hit a third. Towne, the Middlebury pitcher singled to right, driving in one run, and a second came in on an error by Hammond. Slayton helped Brown out of a light hole by throwing out Captain Hastings at first.

Crimson Prospers in Third

In the Harvard half. Todd and Jenkins singled with one out. Hammond lofted to center field. Slayton walked, clogging the bases, and Cheek drove in Todd and Jenkins with a clean single. Slayton and Cheek came in on a hit by Brown. McGlone popped to the pitcher

After three uneventful innings Harvard tallied twice more in the sixth Gordon scratched a hit to the first baseman and Todd's vicious single to center went through the fielder, allowing both men to score and giving the University an 11 to 4 lead.

Toulmin Performs Well

Errors by Jenkins and McGlone a base on balls, and a sacrifice fly gave Middlebury her last run in the seventh Toulmin pitched well for the last two innings, striking out three men and granting only one hit.

The Crimson was again ragged in the field, as the six errors in the box score testify. Todd made a fine running catch in the seventh, however, and Slayton and Jenkins pulled off a clever double play in the ninth. Campbell played a brilliant fielding game at first base. For Middlebury Papke handled seven hard chances flawlessly at short stop.

The summary:

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.McGlone l.b.  4  0  0  0  0  1Campbell l.b.  4  1  1  8  0  0Gordon r.f.  4  2  2  0  0  0Todd c.f.  4  3  3  4  1  0Jenkins s.s  3  2  1  4  2  2Hammond 2b.  3  1  1  1  5  2Slayton 3b.  2  1  0  1  2  0Cheek c.  4  1  1  9  1  1Brown p.  3  0  1  0  2  0Toulmin p.  1  0  0  0  0  0Total  31  11  10  27  14