CRIMSON NINE TO FACE CONQUERORS OF B. C.

Toulmin and Brown Will Get Chance in Holy Cross and Princeton Games--Visitors Are Strong With Bat

The downpour of last Saturday which necessitated abandoning the Dartmouth baseball trip left Coach Slattery's pitching staff in better condition for the present week, the most rigorous of the entire schedule. This afternoon at 4 o'clock the Springfield College nine, conqueror of Boston College, will parade its wares before the Crimson fans. On Wednesday, the near-major-leaguers from Holy Cross will be the attraction, and on Saturday the Big Three series will be opened by an invasion from Princeton, practically as strong as Holy Cross.

Spalding in Box This Afternoon

To meet this test Coach Slattery has three pitchers whose record justifies their being used, Spalding, Toulmin, and Brown. His present intention is to work Spalding this afternoon, Brown against Holy Cross, and Toulmin against Princeton. Spalding might get the Saturday assignment, especially if he shows to advantage today.

The Springfield nine furnished the dopesters the biggest upset of the season when they walked over the unbeaten Boston College team by an 8 to 3 score last Thursday. Arriving at University Heights without any flourish of trumpets, without any imposing victories to their credit, the Springfield players went to work in business-like fashion and completely outplayed their over-confident opponents. Gates, a slow-ball pitcher of slight stature, buffaloed the B. G. sluggers throughout. He is out to add to his fame this afternoon at the expense of the Crimson.

Visitors Are Strong With Bat

It is in batting that the Springfield nine has made its biggest improvement over the aggregation that bowed to Harvard 7 to 2. La Bree, the visitors' third baseman, showed his worth against B. C. by clicking out four safeties in five times up. Shortstop Berry and right fielder Crowley are also dangerous hitters, as is Captain Norfeldt, who made three hits against the Crimson a year ago.

Bearse, first-string pitcher a year ago and also this season until the astounding performance of Gates against B. C., pitched a good game against the University last year, and he will be ready today for relief work. He may even be the choice as starting pitcher. Hanson, regular catcher for three years, is a smart backstop with a good reputation as a handler of pitchers.