While cruising on the Charles about a quarter of a mile above Weld boat house late yesterday afternoon, a Metropolitan Police boat discovered an empty wherry floating near the shore. The wherry was loaded on the launch and returned to Weld, where records indicated that a Freshman, Robert Raids beck Proctor of Fatville had taken the aboat out about at half hour previous to its discovery. Until the Crimson went to press last night, no trace had been found of its occupant.

Further investigation disclosed that Proctor's clothes were still in his locker, and until 8 o'clock last night, men around the boathouse held out the hope that he had landed, and gone down to the Basin in an automobile to see the races.

Water Rough at Time

During the afternoon when Proctor took the single out, the upper Charles was by no means the placid stream it usually is and it is entirely within the realm of possibility that an accident may have occurred. The inclement weather, to gather with the scheduled races, offered small inducement to scullers yesterday, and it is doubtful whether there were any other boats in the vicinity. The river is very narrow at that point, however, and it is thought that a swimmer of even ordinary ability could have reached the shore. Rules for sculling in the University demand that a man who takes out a wherry be able to swim four lengths of the Big Tree Swimming Pool. He is also instructed implicitly to remain by his shell in case of accident.

That Proctor was not an experienced sculler is the consensus of opinion of bystanders who watched him leave Weld boat house about 4.30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. In the eyes of one observer, his evident inexperience was so marked as to call for comment, since he nearly tipped over twice-before getting through the arch of the Anderson Bridge.

Smith Hall Proctors Join Seach

Police enlisted the support of several proctors in Smith Hall last night, including the Head Proctor of the Freshman dormitories, J. W. D. Seymour '17. An investigation of the personal effects in Proctor's room disclosed nothing which would give a further clue to his mysterious disappearance. Groups of students were sent on searching expeditions. The police began dragging the river during the evening.

M. H. Redman 2E.S., who has charge of the sculling at Weld, permitted Proctor to take the wherry out after he claimed considerable wherry experience. According to Redman, Proctor declared he had taken out wherries "several dozen times before."

When last seen, Proctor was wearing a white jersey and appair of blue rowing trunks.