UNREST IN ASIA MINOR HALTS ART EXCAVATIONS

UNCOVERED GEOMETRIC POTTERY AT COLOPHOR

Because of the present unsettled conditions of affairs in Asia Minor, the excavations of Colophor being carried on by the Fogg Art Museum of Harvard and the American School of Classical Studies at Athens have been temporarily discontinued.

In October, 1920, the Fogg Museum received from an anonymous friend a gift of $50,000 for the purpose of conducting excavations in Greek lands at sites mutually agreed upon by the Museums and the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. By the terms of the agreement the two institutions were to furnish each year one or more representatives to have actual charge of the excavations and to decide questions of detail in the prosecution of the work. Professor B. H. Hill has been in charge for the School at Athens, and Dr. Hetty Goldman was appointed Harvard's official representative in the field.

A site was chosen at Colophor in Asia Minor, and the work of excavating was begun there in the early part of 1922. In spite of difficulties and interruptions of long periods, the excavations have been carried on, and interesting results have been obtained. Very early pottery of a geometric character have been found, and good types of terra cotta and coins, but it is estimated that the most important result of the work has been the contribution made to the knowledge of ancient architecture, especially of early house plans which the investigations have unearthed.