LONG SEARCH BRINGS NO TRACE OF STUDENT

All-Day Efforts of Police and College Authorities Reveal Nothing--Death by Drowning Only Tenable Theory

In spite of all-day efforts of the Metropolitan police in dragging the river for R. R. Proctor '27, who has been missing since 4.30 o'clock Monday afternoon, no trace had been found of him up to time the CRIMSON went to press last night. Proctor took a wherry from Weld Boathouse Monday afternoon, and the first intimation rowing officials had that something was wrong was when a police boat returned with the empty wherry which was discovered floating on the river opposite the Metropolitan Riding Club.

Since Proctor was clad only in a pair of blue running trunks and a white jersey, police scout the theory that he might have landed and gone away. Up to a late hour Monday night, college authorities held out the hope that Proctor had landed and gone to the Harvard-Pennsylvania boat races in an automobile. His failure to turn up now puts a decidedly dubious aspect on his disappearance.

Police have a theory that in catching a crab, the handle of the our came back and hit Proctor in the stomach. In that event, they claimed he might have slumped forward, tipping the boat and falling out. His efforts to catch his breath would result in his lungs filling with water, and although he might be a good swimmer, rendered him incapable of saving himself. It was exceedingly misty Monday afternoon, and improbable that there were any other boats in the vicinity.

Proctor's mysterious disappearance recalls a similar occurrence just a year ago, when V. G. Clapp 2G. swam up the river from Weld boathouse on the afternoon of May 17, and was not seen again until Jane 19, when he returned to college. Clapp turned out to be a victim of amnesia, with no recollection of his experiences during his month's absence.