CORNELL RECORD IS NO BETTER THAN CRIMSON'S

VISITING SOUTHPAWS MAY BOTHER HARVARD BATTERS

The Cornell baseball team that is scheduled to oppose the University at Soldiers Field tomorrow afternoon has had a preliminary record strikingly parallel to the Crimson's. Both teams found the going rough on their Southern trips, both have shown flashes of real power, and both have faced, the problem of developing a new pitching staff.

Coach John Carney, former baseball mentor at Exeter, where he made the startling record of 41 consecutive victories, has lacked pitching strength all four years that he has been at Cornell. This year, however, the Ithacans have a formidable pitching corps, and their hopes for a successful season are higher than for several years past. Henderson, 1924 football captain, is the most experienced of the hurlers. He and Milligan, a Sophomore, who made a brilliant record with the Red and White Freshmen last year, are left-handers. Harrington and Whitney, Sophomore right handers, round out the staff.

Have Crop of Veterans

Captain Bickley, an outfielder last season, is stationed at first base. He is his team's leading hitter and a dependable fielder. Capron, basketball captain, who played short stop last year, is covering second base in first-class style. Rossomondo, another basketball star, guard's third base and his hitting is second only to Captain Bickley's. Davis, short stop, has been fielding well but batting unimprossively. Frantz veteran of two seasons, is the ranking outfielder, but Dupree of last year's Freshmen and Trefts, substitute last year, have shown marked improvement. Tone of last year's team is the regular catcher.

The Red and White has broken exactly even in its ten contests so far. Three victories on its Southern trip with two at home make up its five wins. The season started most auspiciously when Washington and Lee tell twice before the Ithacans, 5 to 2 and 11 to 10. In the second game. Cornell showed a powerful attack but escaped defeat only by the narrowest of margins when the Southerners, after having knocked Henderson out of the box in the third, landed on Whitney for four runs in the ninth.

Virginia Military Institute proved easy for Coach Carney's nine, losing 11 to 6, but the University of Virginia was too strong for the Ithacans in a two game. series. Cornell lost the first, 3 to 0, and when Harrington, the Sophomore twirler, started badly in the second contest five runs trickled over the plate and even Whitney's brilliant mound-work could not save the game.

Milligan turned in a 10 to 0 victory over Niagara University in the first home game and Harrington repeated the shutout performance in the next, when the Ithacan defeated St. Lawrence. 6 to 0. Cornell took the other end of the scoring however, when Dartmouth out-hit, outplayed and out-pitched the Red and White for a 5 to 0 win. Three hits was the extent of the damage done by Coach Carney's team, while the Green touched Milligan for eight safe blows.

Caldwell, Princeton's brilliant pitcher, rang up the Tiger's eight straight win and the Red and White's second straight defeat, when his slashing single in the eighth inning won his own game, 6 to 8. Cornell bowed to Syracuse in another close game, by the score of 6 to 4.

Erratic fielding was one of the chief reasons for the to 2 victory of the Crimson over Cornell last year, and judging from the form that Cornell has shown this year, in making but one error against Dartmouth and Princeton this fault is the longer present. Cornell's defeats have come, without an exception, from strong teams, so its record is better than its percentage of victories