ELIS LOSE TWO MORE CREW RACES

Crimson Follows up Victory of 150's Two Weeks Ago

Crimson victories seemed doomed to feature the dedications of Yale athletic structures. When the Yale Bowl was dedicated at the Harvard-Yale football game in 1913, the Crimson won the day 36-0; and Saturday, when Eli rowing fans gathered to dedicate the new "Bob" Cook boathouse on Lake Housatonic, two Crimson crews raced to victory over their Eli opponents in the two events preceding and following the dedication.

Coach Brown's Sophomore A crew defeated Yale's championship class crew, the Junior A, by nearly four lengths over the two-mile course, while the Freshman 150-pound shell slipped across the mile finished line about two lengths ahead of the Blue 150's. As a result of Saturday's races at Derby, the Crimson has beaten the Blue in all three of the preliminary races between the University and Yale this year. Conols Newell's 150-pound eight stroked by Dudley Merrill '26, gave its wash to its Eli rivals the week preceding at Lake Carnegie.

In the class event, the Yale Juniors got the jump on the University oarsmen and quickly had a quarter-length lead. But the superior power of Gale's crew was not to be denied. Before the half-mile mark, the University Sophomores were slightly ahead and steadily gaining. After the mile mark the race was no longer in doubt. The long sweep of Coach Brown's oarsmen widened the distance steadily, the men finishing the race in excellent physical condition a good four lengths ahead of the trailing Yale eight. The times for the two-mile course were: the University, 12 minutes and one second; Yale, 12 minutes and 17 seconds.

The Freshman 150-pound event preceded the dedication of the "Bob" Cook boathouse, which in turn preceded the class crew race. The Cambridge oarsmen lead from the start and maintained a steady consistent pace at a high stroke.