FOR A WINNING SPIRIT

The University crew has had three hard, unsuccessful years which are not conducive to confidence as Mr. Hubbard states, either among the oarsmen themselves or among the undergraduates. Criticism has been abundant, of the system, of the coaches, and of the material. This year the pre-Yale races have been lost to opponents whose eights were by no means remarkable. And to top it off, the sport writers have already begun to count the lengths by which Harvard will lose at New London, and the Yale eight is already dubbed "the wonder crew which comes once in a blue moon." Perhaps never before was a University crew up against such a severe task as confronts Captain Henry and his men.

But the present situation is more hopeful than at any previous time this season. Coach Stevens has been teaching a new stroke, and to learn a new stroke is not the accomplishment of a day. Development has necessarily been slow, but it has not been lacking. Those who saw the race at Cornell were agreed the crew showed a distinct gain a surprising gain, over the preceding race.

Whatever doubts the College may have had in the past, there must be nothing but optimism now in face of the odds. The crew needs support and the parade to the boathouse today affords the undergraduate a tangible way to demonstrate his confidence. Harvard games and races in the past have been won on determination alone. Other crews have done the impossible. With the memory of a splendid demonstration of the College's support, the crew will leave for Red Top with its best opportunity before it an opportunity it can not misuse.