WILL TELL OF GUARDING UNIVERSITY TRADITIONS

SOCIETY MELTED HARVARD BELL INTO TABLETS FOR BUILDING

Professor George Herbert Palmer '64, the oldest living president of the Harvard Memorial Society and one of the principal speakers at its dinner tonight, will probably talk of the work of the Society when he was president in 1904. President Lowell, Mr. Waldo Lincoln '70, Mr. William C. Lane '81, Librarian of the University, and an undergraduate whose name has not yet been announced, will be among the speakers. The dinner will be held at 7 o'clock in the Aescuiaplan Room of the Harvard Club of Boston.

Listed Senior Dormitory Occupants

Professor Palmer succeeded the late Professor Charles Eliot Norton as president, and some of the most lasting work of the Society in perpetuating the history and traditions of the University, was accomplished under his supervision.

Melted Harvard Bell Into Tablets

One of the most interesting bits of the Society's work while Professor Palmer was president, was connected with Mr. Jones, the bell-ringer, who performed his duties without missing a single day. Many attempts were made by students to thwart him, but he managed to supply an extra clapper, or to break out the ice in the bell, or do whatever else was necessary. When the bell became cracked, he asked the University to sell it to him and it was given to him as a token of his services. He kept it in his house for some years, until the Memorial Society obtained it from him for a special purpose. It was melted up into tablets which are now fastened on the outer walls of some of the Senior Dormitories.